The recipe for this yummy avocado salad comes from my Mum. She has been making it for years and years and years. Sometimes it comes on individual plates as a starter, sometimes on one big platter, as I’ve done here. Always, it is delicious.
Avocado & citrus is a winning combination, and the sweet-sharp oranges go beautifully with the creamy, ripe avocado. (I have, in the past, made this salad with pink grapefruit too, but on balance, I think I prefer oranges.) The olives add a salty tang. And the peppery watercress gives everything a dose of pizazz! Yum 🙂
I made this as part of a large summer lunch for friends, and it went down a treat. One of our guests said it was one of the prettiest things she’d ever eaten! I arranged the orange segments and slices of avocado in circles on top of the watercress, and it did look very decorative, but I’m sure a more ‘free form’ approach would be just as good. Either way, it will taste fabulous.
The orange-mayonnaise dressing goes well with plenty of other things as well as this salad. We ate the salad with (among other things) cold baked trout fillets, and the dressing was delicious with that, too. I think it would go well with fish generally, and it was also good with the new potatoes we had. Delicious.
Interestingly (or not) avocado is one of very few foods that Kipper doesn’t like. I think it’s a texture, rather than a taste thing. In any case, she didn’t even want to try this salad. Hey ho. And according to DH, he’s never eaten this salad before. I find this hard to believe. We’ve been married nearly 8 years, and I’m pretty sure that even if I’ve never made it for him in all that time, my Mum must have done! I blame his faltering memory. He did at least say it was delicious. I’ll remind him of that next time I make it…
This made a large platter of salad. Serves 6+ as a side dish.
- 100g watercress
- 2 large oranges
- 1.5-2 medium/large avocados
- 0.25 red onion
- 3 tbsp small pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Wash the watercress if necessary, and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Peel the oranges and remove the pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut between the membranes to release the orange segments. Squeeze any remaining juice from the membrane/pith then discard it. Arrange the orange segments on top of the watercress.
- Halve the avocados lengthwise. Remove the stones and peel. Cut the avocado flesh into slices lengthwise - around 10-12 slices per avocado. Turn the slices in the reserved orange juice then arrange with the orange segments on the platter.
- Finely slice the red onion, and arrange over the orange and avocado. Scatter over the black olives.
- Whisk the mayonnaise with 2-3 tbsp of the remaining orange juice to give a creamy dressing. Drizzle some over the salad and serve the rest separately.
- Eat immediately or cover and chill for a few hours before serving.