Are you feeling the colder weather? I am. Brrrr. It’s definitely SOUP SEASON. Nothing warms you up from the inside like a lovely hot bowl of soup, except maybe a lovely hot MUG of soup. And there’s something about soup that’s wonderfully cosy and comforting too.
I first made this delicious courgette (zucchini) soup on Succot, to keep us warm in our Succah! It was so yummy that I was compelled to make another big batch, which provided an opportunity to take better notes on what went into it. I added a potato second time around too, which added a lovely smooth creaminess to the finished soup. Yum.
The seasonings and flavourings in this courgette and potato soup might look like a bit of a random mixture, but don’t be put off – the final product is really wonderful! Zingy garlic and ginger, together with the heat from the harissa, make the soup fabulously warming and gorgeously fragrant, and the toasted sesame oil adds a marvellous depth to the flavour.
Whilst it makes a great starter, personally, I would have a huge bowl of this with some thickly buttered toast and call it a meal. I really do LOVE soup! Kipper was quite keen to take some in a flask to school, but I had visions of it spilling everywhere, so to keep her teachers sweet we had it at home only. (This also meant that I got to eat more courgette & potato soup myself… what a sacrifice!)
Treat yourself to a bowl of beautiful soup! You won’t regret it!
(And if you’re after more delicious soup recipes, why not follow my ‘Beautiful Soup‘ board on Pinterest?)
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
- 2 large courgettes (approx 800g)
- 1 large potato (350-400g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or butter/ghee if you don't mind the dairy)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/4 tsp harissa
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (plus a little extra for drizzling)
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 200ml non-dairy alternative to milk e.g. oat or soya milk (or regular cows' milk if you're not bothered)
- Trim the courgettes and cut into 2cm chunks. Peel the potato and cut into large dice.
- Heat the oil/butter/ghee in a medium pan over a moderate heat. Add the courgettes and potato and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Crush the garlic and add to the pan with the chopped ginger and the harissa. Mix well and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan. Stir, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the toasted sesame oil, soya sauce and milk to the soup, then blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
- Serve hot, with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil on top.
- Use olive oil and non-dairy milk to make this soup vegan and parve. I like oat milk but you can use your preferred alternative.
Sweet & sour cabbage and tomato soup with rice
Roasted butternut squash and red lentil soup
Carrot and tomato soup with ginger and orange
Parsnip, ginger & chickpea soup from Rough Measures
Spiced parsnip spinach soup with apple and turmeric from Tin and Thyme
Spicy roast sweet potato and carrot soup from Utterly Scrummy
Creamy tomato soup from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Chickpea and lemon soup from Nicky’s Kitchen Sanctuary
Spicy butternut squash soup from Gingey Bites
Vegan cream of mushroom soup from Thinly Spread
Supergreens soup from How To Cook Good Food
Cauliflower and potato soup from Greedy Gourmet
Spinach, chilli and fennel soup from Planet Veggie
Pea and Kale soup with Mint from Veggie Desserts
Roasted squash and lentil soup with dukkah from Rough Measures
Spicy vegetable ‘noodle’ soup from Utterly Scrummy
Easy vegan laksa from Veggie Desserts
Spiced carrot, lentil and kale soup from Tinned Tomatoes