This scalloped potato roast is simple to make, and a great prepare-ahead side dish. Rosemary & garlic make it fragrant and delicious. Tuck in!
Do you find that when the nights are drawing in, your thoughts turn to delicious dishes of comforting potato, creamy soft within, crispy on top, and flavoured with deliciousness? Mine do. There’s something about them that soothes the soul when it’s dark and gloomy outside.
Ready for dinner
I do love a potato dish that can be part-prepared in advance, then left in a pre-set oven so it’s cooked and lovely when you’re ready to eat it. On this occasion, Kipper and I had been out to ‘Kabbalat for Kids’ – a child-friendly start-of-shabbat service – and arrived home, ready for our Friday Night Dinner.
The glorious scent of garlic, rosemary and roasting potatoes filled the house. What a welcome!
Like so many of my best ideas, this actually started life as something else. It was supposed to be a potato & carrot layer bake, but having peeled the potatoes, I just couldn’t be bothered to start peeling carrots as well.
Then I though I’d just make the layer bake with potatoes & onions. But I remembered some fresh rosemary that needed using up. And garlic makes everything better. Plus, putting the slices on their side (like in this sideways gratin) makes it look so beautiful! It also means that every slice of this scalloped potato roast is meltingly soft at one end and crisply golden at the other. Perfection.
Quick, easy, prepare-ahead
If you slice the potatoes in the food processor, this gorgeous scalloped potato roast takes mere minutes to make. Even slicing by hand, it doesn’t take very long. Once it’s had its 10 minutes in the microwave, you can set it aside for a few hours till you’re ready to bake it, so it’s a perfect prepare ahead dish.
Kipper and DH were both very keen on this and we polished off the lot between us. The long dark nights of winter don’t seem quite so gloomy after all.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Garlic & rosemary scalloped potato roast
- 750-800 g potatoes (approx. 4-6 medium large potatoes, 1¾lb)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1½-2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 50 ml olive oil (approx. ¼ cup)
- 150 ml hot vegetable stock (⅔ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Peel the potatoes, and cut into 5-7mm (¼ inch) thick slices (I do this using the food processor).
- Rinse and drain the potato slices and transfer to a bowl with the garlic, rosemary and oil. Use your hands to mix everything together very thoroughly, so that each slice is coated with the oily mixture.
- Arrange the potato slices on their sides in a 20cm (8 inch) round baking dish. Pour the hot stock over the top, then microwave on high for 10 minutes. (The dish can be set aside at this point and baked later on.)
- Transfer the dish to the oven and roast at 175°C (350°F) for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until golden brown and crispy on top. Serve immediately!
Calories 297, Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 3g), Total Carbohydrates 22g (Sugars 1g), Protein 3g