The nights are starting to draw in, and thoughts are turning to delicious dishes of comforting potato, creamy soft within, crispy on top, and flavoured with deliciousness. Mmmm.
I do love a potato dish that can be part-prepared in advance, then left in a pre-set oven so it’s cooked and lovely when you’re ready to eat it. On this occasion, Kipper and I had been out to ‘Kabbalat for Kids’ – a child-friendly start-of-shabbat service – and arrived home, ready for our Shabbat dinner. The house was filled with the glorious scent of garlic, rosemary and roasting potatoes. Did I already say mmmmm? Mmmmmm.
Like so many of my best ideas, this actually started life as something else. It was supposed to be a potato & carrot layer bake, but having peeled the potatoes, I just couldn’t be bothered to start peeling carrots as well. So then I though I’d just do the layer bake with potatoes & onions. But I remembered some fresh rosemary that needed using up. And garlic makes everything better. And putting the slices on their side (like in this sideways gratin) makes it look so beautiful! Also, it means that every slice of this scalloped potato roast is meltingly soft at one end and crisply golden at the other. Mmmmmmm.
If you slice the potatoes in the food processor, this gorgeous scalloped potato roast takes mere minutes to make. Even slicing by hand, it doesn’t take very long. Once it’s had its 10 minutes in the microwave, you can set it aside for a few hours till you’re ready to bake it, so it’s a perfect prepare ahead dish.
Kipper and DH were both very keen on this. DH said several times that I should make it again. I expect I will 🙂
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
- 750-800g potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5-2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 50ml olive oil
- 150ml hot vegetable stock (2/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Peel the potatoes, and cut into 5-7mm thick slices (I do this using the food processor).
- Rinse and drain the potato slices and transfer to a bowl with the garlic, rosemary and oil. Use your hands to mix everything together very thoroughly, so that each slice is coated with the oily mixture.
- Arrange the potato slices on their sides in a 20cm (8inch) round baking dish. Pour the hot stock over the top, then microwave on high for 10 minutes. (The dish can be set aside at this point and baked later on.)
- Transfer the dish to the oven and roast at 175C for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until golden brown and crispy on top. Serve immediately!