Golden, garlicky Greek lemon potatoes. A taste of the Mediterranean and so easy to make! A delicious side dish for the summer or any time of year.
Sometime in the late nineties or possibly early noughties I visited a friend in New York for a few days. I’m sure we went to plenty of restaurants. However the only one I remember was his local Greek place that we had dinner in one evening.
My memory of that meal is pretty sketchy! But I do remember the amazing garlicky Greek lemon potatoes. There were some leftover, and the restaurant packed them up for us to take home. Next morning, I stood in front of the fridge in my pyjamas and ate the whole box of them, cold, with my fingers.
It’s all Greek to me…
It took me a while to recreate them at home, because I had to figure out just how to get my Greek lemon potatoes so lemony and garlicky. After browsing various Greek food websites, it turns out the answer is simply to add loads of lemon juice and garlic!
The Greek lemon potatoes are first marinaded, and then baked. Finally the lid is removed to allow some of the liquid to evaporate and the potatoes to brown slightly at the edges.
Sweet Greek memories
These Greek lemon potatoes came out almost exactly as I remembered – really lemony, really garlicky, soft and fluffy. Squash one with a fork and it will soak up some of the gorgeous juices. I ate far too many of them, and even DH ate more than I thought he would.
A dishful of Summer!
We enjoyed these Greek potatoes as part of an al fresco dinner in the garden. The lemon and garlic turns a dish of potatoes into a wonderful side dish that’s perfect for summer and brings a ray of sunshine to your table at any time of year. You’re sure to remember them!
This made enough for the three of us with a few bits leftover. I’d say serves 2-3.
If you want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox, simply click here to subscribe. (of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Greek potatoes with lemon & garlic
- 750 g potatoes
- Juice of 2 lemons (approx. 100ml)
- 50 ml olive oil (scant 1/4 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 250 ml hot vegetable stock (generous 1 cup)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 3-4cm chunks. Place in a single layer in a lidded ovenproof dish.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic, oregano and stock and mix well. Pour over the potatoes. Cover and leave to stand for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Bake the potatoes, covered, for around an hour, then remove the lid and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are just starting to brown.
- Serve at once with more of the sauce spooned over.
Some more delicious potato recipes for you to enjoy include this garlic & rosemary scalloped potato roast, these fabulous garlic & herb potato wedges, and this gorgeous curried potato salad. If you like Greek food why not try this delicious vegetarian moussaka – it’s gluten-free and fabulous!