How cute are these apple cupcakes? I love them! Almost too cute to eat. Not quite though, eh?! Kipper certainly thought so, she scoffed several of them…
I had the idea for these months ago, when I saw how you can insert a ball of tin-foil into the side of your cupcake case to make the finished cake heart shaped. I figured a heart shaped cake, topped with sliced apple and finished with a pretzel-stick ‘stem’ would make a sweet apple cupcake. I love it when I’m right 🙂
You can see how to insert the foil balls, and fill and top the cupcakes here:
The leaves were all Kipper’s idea. She suggested inserting a mint or basil leaf and using the ‘stem’ to hold it in place. She was thrilled at how they worked out.
These delicious and lightly spiced apple cupcakes, brushed with a smidgen of honey, would make a wonderful Rosh Hashanah treat – especially if you’re fed up with honey cake. They’d also be great for an apple day celebration, or even as a treat for teacher. We took a tray of them to Kipper’s back-to-school picnic, and they went down a storm.
I used mixed spice in the recipe, but cinnamon, or even pumpkin pie spice, would give a lovely sweet autumnal flavour alongside the apple. These are just gorgeously seasonal!
I made these with apples from my parents-in-laws’ tree (I still have a HUGE bag of their apples…) so I don’t know what the variety is, but any dessert apple should be fine. Just make sure that they’re fairly small, otherwise the slices won’t fit on top of the cupcakes! I’m sure you’ll figure it out.
Take the stress out of meal planning! Get deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up. (I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
- 2 small apples
- 110g margarine or butter (1 stick)
- 130g soft light brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 225g plain flour (scant 2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3-4 tbsp milk/soya milk/apple juice
- 2-3 tsp clear honey
- 12-14 small mint or basil leaves
- 3-4 pretzel sticks, broken into 2cm pieces
- First, prepare your cupcake cases. Make an inward fold on one side of each paper case before inserting into the cupcake tray. Then scrunch up a ball of aluminium foil to the size of a small marble, and insert between the paper case and the tray, to help hold the shape. Prepare 12-14 paper cases in this way. (See photo).
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into quarters. Slice one apple into 24-30 thin slices for the tops of the cupcakes. Finely dice the second apple.
- Cream the margarine/butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs.
- Add the flour, baking powder and spice, and lightly mix together.
- Stir in the milk/juice to give a dropping consistency.
- Finally, add the diced apple and mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cupcake cases. Arrange two slices of apple on the top of each cake, as shown, and press gently down.
- Bake the cakes at 190C/375F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Brush with honey while still warm. Once cool, insert the mint/basil leaves and pretzel sticks to decorate.