Love-apple soup – a lightly spiced, smooth and delicious tomato soup, topped with cheesy toast hearts. The perfect way to say ‘I love you’!
Ah, Valentine’s Day approaches and love is in the air! And my Pinterest and Facebook feeds are full of recipes involving chocolate, strawberries, and sometimes both. Savoury dishes really do seem to play second fiddle at the moment, as though nothing says ‘I love you’ like a dose of sugar and fat…
Say it with savoury
I ought to come clean and say that in previous years, I too have been caught up in this frenzy of sweet, sweet goodies. Only last year I made these Nutella shortbread hearts, for instance. But this year, I wanted to do something more savoury. Something altogether more grown up. Not to mention healthier, and more filling.
So, enter that other red fruit, the humble tomato. Once known as the ‘love apple’ it seemed only right to put it to use in a Valentine’s Day recipe! I created this smooth and delicious tomato soup as a perfect warming treat for your special person on a cold February day, and added a hint of spice just to get those pulses racing!
I topped my tomato soup with cheesy toasts, and in a nod to the celebration of love, I even cut them into heart shapes. This was easy to do using a cookie cutter, but you could probably manage just as well with a knife. Or just leave them toast-shaped. Whichever you prefer.
I hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day. Finish your soup and toast, and you can have some chocolate, and strawberries!
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
'Love apple' tomato soup with cheesy toasts
- 1 small onion
- 2 tsbp olive oil
- ¼ tsp harissa (or according to your taste for spicy food!)
- 400 g tin peeled tomatoes (approx. 14 oz)
- 250 ml hot vegetable stock (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
For the toasts
- 2 slices bread
- 50 g grated cheese (½ cup)
To make the soup
- Peel and dice the onion. Add to a medium saucepan with the olive oil and harissa and cook over a low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, stir, and use a spoon to break up the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend until very smooth, then set aside and keep warm while you make the toasts.
To make the cheesy toasts
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Using a cookie-cutter or a sharp knife, cut each slice of bread into a heart shape.
- Toast the bread lightly on both sides in the toaster, then place the toast hearts onto a baking sheet.
- Divide the cheese between the toasts, and place under the grill for a minute or two until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Divide the soup between two bowls, and carefully place a cheesy toast heart on top of each. Enjoy!
If you’d like some more savoury Valentine’s ideas, how about these gorgeous roasted heart potatoes from Little Sunny Kitchen, or this Love Soup (sweet potato, carrot and red pepper soup) from Munchies and Munchkins.
More delicious tomato-based soups for you to enjoy include vibrant carrot and tomato soup with orange and ginger, filling tomato soup with gnocchi and aubergine croutons, and delicious sweet and sour cabbage and tomato soup with rice.
I’m entering this soup into the No Croutons Required veggie soup and salad linky, organised by Lisa’s Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes, who also hosts this month.
I’m also linking up to the Food Year Linkup, at Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen, as of course this soup is perfect for Valentine’s Day on February 14.
And I’m joining in with CookBlogShare, hosted by Snap Happy Bakes.