This is another recipe that originally comes from my Mum. It is fabulous because it’s dead easy to make, and you get your spuds and veg all in one go. Oh, and it’s totally delicious.
The other thing that makes it brilliant is that you can get it ready in advance, and then stick it in the oven when the time comes. My oven has a feature whereby you can set it to come on at a predetermined time. More than once I have left the house with the potato and carrot layer bake sitting, poised, in a cold oven, and me praying to the kitchen deity that the timer would work and I would return to a crispy, browned, savoury and perfectly cooked side dish. To date – thank the heavens – I have not been disappointed.
(I once made this with swede instead of potato. Differently delicious, but still delicious.)
Serve the potato and carrot bake as a delicious accompaniment to almost anything. For instance, we enjoyed it with this cod with cheddar and leek crumb topping. Serves 3-4.
- 750g potatoes (or thereabouts)
- 250-300g carrots
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Peel the potatoes, rinse them, and cut them into thin slices - around 4-5mm thick. Peel the carrots, rinse them, and grate finely. Peel the onion, halve and slice into thin crescents.
- Use 1 tbsp of the oil to grease the base of a pyrex baking dish (pyrex is probably not essential, but this is what my Mum always uses, so....)
- Spread half the potato slices in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread the grated carrot over the potato, and then the sliced onion on top of the carrot. Finally, spread the remaining potato slices on top - or painstakingly arrange them in neat concentric circles, depending on the level of your OCD 🙂
- Pour the hot stock over everything, then put the dish into the microwave and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and brush/dab the remaining tablespoon of oil over the top layer of potato slices. (At this point, you can put the dish aside until an hour before you want to eat it.)
- Put into the oven, and bake at 180C for 45-60 minutes, until browning and crispy on top.