Usually I give myself an hour or so to get the dinner ready. But, you know how it is, time overtakes you sometimes, and suddenly it’s 20-to-dinnertime and there’s nothing even approaching ready. Eek! This delicious pasta dish was created on just such an evening, when I was not only short of time, but also short of ingredients. A quick fridge raid and this is what I came up with.
We usually have a packet of smoked salmon in the fridge. I suppose that seems quite indulgent, but it’s actually a fairly affordable source of protein (especially if you’re not too proud to buy the ‘economy’ or ‘basic’ ranges) and Kipper loves it. I can guarantee she’ll eat her packed lunch if I put smoked salmon in her sandwiches.
Anyway, on this occasion, I was lucky enough to have a whole, unopened packet, so it was into the dinner with that, plus some soft cheese (another fridge staple here at Family Friends Food towers) and a handful of frozen peas. And bob’s your uncle!
Smoked salmon & cream cheese are a pretty classic pairing (albeit usually on a bagel) so this was never going to turn out too terribly! It is, in fact, much better than that – quite delicious – and as an added bonus you can throw the sauce together while the pasta is cooking, so the whole thing can be ready in under 15 minutes. Perfect for a speedy supper.
One last thing – I used lime juice because I seemed to have loads of limes but no lemons. It was totally delish, but you could just as easily use lemon instead for a more classic flavour. Enjoy!
This made enough for me, DH and Kipper. So, serves 2-3.
If you want to be kept informed when I post delicious recipes like this one, then please sign up to receive updates by email. It only takes a second and you’ll get the new recipes directly to your inbox. And of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.
Click here to sign up.
- 160g short pasta (e.g. penne)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100g cream cheese
- 120g smoked salmon
- 130g frozen peas
- Juice of half a lime
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the onion. Heat the butter in a large heavy skillet over a medium heat and cook the sliced onion, stirring occasionally, for 7-9 minutes until very soft and beginning to brown.
- Stir in the cream cheese and mix well. Lower the heat to just keep warm.
- Add the peas to the boiling pasta for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking. Once cooked, drain well.
- Cut the smoked salmon into strips/pieces. Add to the onion & cream cheese mixture with the drained pasta and peas. Squeeze over the lime juice and mix gently to combine.
- Serve with additional lime wedges if desired.