Given that these aubergine rolls incorporate two of Kipper’s most favourite foods ever, namely aubergine and pesto, I was quietly confident that they would be a big hit. Apparently, my confidence was misplaced. She ate a couple, then told me in no uncertain terms that she didn’t like them at all. And she left the rest on her plate 🙁
I admit I wasn’t too devastated, because it meant I could scoff the rest myself. I thought they were absolutely delicious, and would have eaten more, given the chance. Yum yum yummy yum yum.
These were vaguely inspired by a thing that DH likes to make when we have barbecues, that I think came out of a Nigella book originally. You barbecue slices of aubergine, then roll them up around a mixture of feta cheese, chilli, mint and lemon. In this version I cooked the aubergine slices under the grill, then filled them with a mixture of cream cheese, pesto and black pepper. Which is sort of similar. Sort of.
I wasn’t sure what would go with these, so I made some tomato sauce, and then since that was on the go anyway, I cooked some spaghetti. It actually all went together pretty well – the cream cheesy goo that oozed out of the aubergine rolls made a delicious addition to the tomatoey pasta. Equally, the tomato sauce complemented the pesto-y aubergine. You could serve these without the spaghetti as a starter, but I think a dollop of tomato sauce is a must. Don’t feel obliged to make it yourself though.
This made about 10 aubergine rolls, I think – enough for 2 people as a starter or side dish. Kipper and I ate them between us as a main course (I had the majority – yum!) with some spaghetti. To be honest, I wish I’d done another aubergine’s worth. Hey ho, you live and learn.
There was a little bit of pesto-y cheese leftover. I spread it on a piece of bread and it didn’t last for long.
- 1 large aubergine (or 2 smaller ones) - around 450g
- Few tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 75g cream cheese
- Tomato sauce, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the grill to high. Cut the stalk off the aubergine, then slice it lengthwise into 6-7mm slices. Brush with olive oil, then grill for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through and browning on the surface. You may need to do this in batches.
- Meanwhile, mix the pesto and cream cheese together.
- Once the aubergine slices are cooked, spread each one with a teaspoonful of the pesto/cheese mixture, and roll up.
- Put the aubergine rolls into a heatproof dish and keep warm in a low oven until they're all ready to eat. Alternatively, serve them as soon as they're made.
- Serve with the tomato sauce, and enjoy!