Need a quick, basic tomato sauce? Look no further. This one is tasty enough to serve simply on pasta, but unobtrusive enough to blend seamlessly into something fancier. A moussaka for instance. Or pasta with roasted vegetables and tomato sauce.
Three minutes prep then leave it to simmer. Bob’s your uncle.
This makes 2-4 servings, I’d say. When we had it as part of pasta with roasted vegetables and tomato sauce, it was plenty for two adults, a small person, and a dollop for my lunch the next day 🙂
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a minute or two to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and the vinegar. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Turn down the heat and cook, partly covered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the tomatoes are cooked through - around 20 minutes.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled, and any spare sauce can be frozen for future use.
- You can add herbs or spices if desired. Half a tsp of smoked paprika gives a lovely smokey sweetness, and a tsp of mixed herbs or herbs de Provence adds a Mediterranean taste. Fry with the onions and garlic to bring out the flavour.