Rich, indulgent, fudgy chocolate brownie cookies made naturally gluten-free. Studded with nuts and chocolate chips, they’re a fabulous Pesach treat.
Do you have Pesach recipes that come back year after year? This is one of mine!
I first made these a few years ago. I was looking for a cookie recipe that didn’t need any matza meal or potato flour, and came across the technique for making these intensely chocolatey cookies using only cocoa. They were an instant hit!
Although I like to add some chopped pecans or walnuts to these fudgy brownie cookies, you can definitely leave them out if you need a nut-free treat for Pesach. Just add a few more chocolate chips for some extra indulgence and you’re all set. You could also substitute raisins, dried cranberries, or anything else that you’d like to stumble across in a chocolate brownie cookie!
Dairy, or dairy-free
These brownie cookies are incredible made with butter. But they’re probably 97% as good if made with margarine, which of course renders them dairy-free and parve. A wonderful make-ahead Pesach dessert when served with some fruit or a scoop of ice-cream. Yum!
No special equipment
The other great thing about these brownie cookies is that you can make them easily using only a bowl and a spoon. No electric whisk, stand mixer, blender, or other fancy equipment required. Which is great if you’re working with a pared down kitchen for Passover.
I should probably say that these brownie cookies did receive some criticism. DH thought they were “too chocolatey”. Seriously?! Is it possible for something to be too chocolatey? I’m not worrying about it.
I’ll be making these this year, and they’ll be back again next year too!
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Chocolate brownie cookies
- 125 g margarine or butter (½ cup)
- 85 g brown sugar (½ cup)
- 25 g white sugar (⅓ cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 115 g cocoa powder (1 cup)
- 75 g chocolate chips (½ cup)
- 50 g chopped pecans (optional - see notes) (½ cup)
- 12 whole pecans to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment or a nonstick liner.
- Cream the margarine (or butter) with the brown and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cocoa powder and mix to combine, then mix in the chocolate chips & chopped pecans if using.
- Dollop spoonfuls onto the lined tray, decorate with pecans if using, and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10 mins. Allow to cool on the tray before serving.