These banana oat bars are delicious and moreish! Packed with banana, almond butter and chocolate chips, they’re fabulous for breakfast or a snack.
My lovely friend recently had a baby – yay! Lucky Little Person is feasting regularly on finest Mummy Milk! So it seemed only right to take Mummy some calorie-laden, milk-supply-boosting, indulgent yet health-packed yummy treats, as a gift. Right?
Kellymom and other reputable sources of breastfeeding information recommend oats as a potential galactagogue – a food that will increase milk production in a nursing mother. And as a big fan of flapjacks, I know how delicious they can be too! I made them the basis of these yummy oat bars, before getting carried away with the extras.
Every new mum needs chocolate, so I put in a generous amount of both dark and white chocolate chips. Ripe banana for vitamins and minerals? Perfect. Almond butter adds healthy fats and trace elements, while milk and eggs provide calcium, iron and extra protein.
It occurred to me as I reviewed the ingredients in these fabulously moreish banana oat bars that even if you aren’t a breastfeeding mum (or a mum of any kind), they would make a pretty tasty and healthful breakfast bar. If you’re feeling virtuous, you could substitute some raisins, dried cranberries, nuts or chopped dried apricots for some (or all) of the chocolate chips.
My daughter Kipper has been scoffing these banana oat bars as snacks, and requesting more of them, and didn’t seem to notice that I’d just snuck a load of fruit, milk and oats past her. A few chocolate chips go a long way, apparently!
This made 16 banana oat bars, but next time I’ll be tempted to cut them bigger and make fewer. Yum.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Banana oat bars with chocolate chips
- 200 g porridge oats (approx. 2 cups)
- 50 g dark muscovado sugar (approx. ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- pinch salt
- 125 ml milk or natural yogurt (generous ½ cup)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 g almond butter (scant ¼ cup)
- 75 g dark chocolate chips (approx. ½ cup)
- 75 g white chocolate chips (approx. ½ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a 20cm (8 inch) square tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the oats, muscovado sugar, baking powder, spice and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, mashed bananas, vanilla and almond butter. Whisk thoroughly to ensure the almond butter is well mixed in.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Turn out and cut into bars.