Spiced hazelnut loaf cake with chocolate fudge frosting
A moist and nutty cake, smothered in rich and delicious dark chocolate frosting
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 1 loaf
- 115 g butter or margarine (1/2 cup)
- 125 g demerara sugar (scant 2/3 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour (1 1/4 cups)
- 65 g ground hazelnuts (2/3 cup)
- 1 tsp speculaas spice mix (or mixed spice or cinnamon)
- Pinch salt
- 25 ml apple juice + 25ml water (approx 3 tbsp liquid total)
For the chocolate frosting
- 40 g dark chocolate (approx 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Line a 1lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
Cream the butter/margarine with the sugar till pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time and mix in. Follow each egg with a spoonful or two of flour. When both eggs are incorporated, add the rest of the flour, the hazelnuts, spice and salt, and mix well to thoroughly combine.
Add just enough of the water/juice mixture to give a loose dropping consistency. You may need slightly more or slightly less than 50ml.
Pour into the prepared tin and tap to level the mixture. Bake at 180C for around 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make the frosting
Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave. Stir well to ensure no lumps of chocolate remain, then allow to cool for a few minutes.
Add the butter or margarine a little at a time, beating it in well. When it is all incorporated, the frosting should be thick, fudgy and glossy.
Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake and leave to set.