Sweet, tangy, crunchy, tender & crisp, this gorgeous summery spinach salad has it all! Beautiful ripe strawberries & a light dressing make the flavour pop.
There are so many reasons why I love this strawberry cucumber spinach salad! Mostly, it’s because it tastes like summer in a bowl and is all the things I really want to eat right now, but also, look at it – those colours are just gorgeous.
Simple but effective
I love how such a simple combination of ingredients can make something so delicious – sweet, tangy, salty, crunchy, tender & crisp all in one dish. Strawberries are really in season and are so good right now, just packed with flavour. I used mini cucumbers here because I think they have more crunch than regular ones, but either will do. And the nuts and seeds add an extra dimension of taste, texture, and just all round greatness! I didn’t add them the first time I made this spinach salad, and I definitely prefer it with them, rather than without. Yum.
Make ahead magic!
Another great thing about this spinach salad? You can make it in advance and chill it, and it’s actually better! I love things that can be done in advance. Mix up everything except the spinach and then simply spoon the veggies & fruits over the spinach leaves when you’re ready to serve. Leaving the cucumbers and strawberriess to marinate in the dressing helps everything to marry together really nicely, and lets the flavours mingle and develop. Perfect.
I made this cucumber strawberry spinach salad as part of our lunch on Shavuot, and I think it was more or less all that Kipper ate at that meal – although she’s a bit of a fiend for cucumbers and strawberries so I shouldn’t have been too surprised. I’m sure it will feature on a fair few summer menus yet to come.
Oh, and did I mention that it only takes a few minutes to make? Brilliant.
Vegan or vegetarian?
One last thing – if you’ve no reason to keep it parve or cater for vegans, it’s also delicious with a little feta cheese crumbled over the top. I meant to take a photo of that but had already wolfed down half the salad before I remembered. Oops. You’ll just have to use your imagination. Or make it yourself…
Honestly, you’re going to love this salad!
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Strawberry cucumber spinach salad
- 125-150 g mini cucumbers (4-5)
- 125-150 g strawberries (7-8 medium)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds (I used linseed, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds)
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3-4 handfuls washed baby spinach
- Slice the cucumbers on the diagonal into 5-6mm thick slices, and place in a bowl.
- Hull the strawberries and cut each one into 6-8 pieces. Add to the cucumber slices.
- Add the almonds, seeds, seasonings, oil and vinegar to the strawberries and cucumbers, and gently toss to coat. At this point you can cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to a few hours, if you don't want to eat the salad right away.
- When you're ready to serve, put the spinach leaves into a large salad bowl and spoon the cucumber mixture over. Pour over any dressing or seeds that get left behind. Serve and enjoy!