Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, with the delicious flavour of coconut and cranberries. These oatmeal cookies will soon be a family favourite!
I’m not sure what happened but I massively over-ordered on desiccated coconut this past Pesach. I don’t think I even had anything in mind for it, but I had 3 big bags leftover – oops! And of course the best before dates are about a month before Pesach next year so I can’t even put them away… It’s nearly Rosh Hashanah already so there’s nothing else for it – I’d better get baking.
I didn’t want to make anything too Pesachy, so I decided to incorporate the coconut into some oatmeal cookies, that are most definitely chametzdig! I almost made regular raisin & oatmeal cookies but with added coconut, but then I found a tub of dried cranberries and remembered how good coconut and cranberries are together. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Subtle and sweet
I was really pleased with how these coconut cranberry oatmeal cookies came out. The coconut is subtle, but definitely there, and the tangy-sweet cranberry flavour is a perfect compliment. The texture is deliciously chewy and soft inside, with a slightly crisp exterior. Perfect with a cup of tea!
I was also pleased to realise that unlike my muesli cookies or nutella shortbread, these delightful morsels contain no nuts and so will be a lunchbox friendly treat for Kipper to take to school in a few weeks. Excellent.
The morning when I made these cookies was doubly productive, because as well as a batch of lovely coconut cranberry oatmeal cookies I also took loads of photos which enabled me to make this video, which will show you just how simple these fabulous cookies are to make.Make mealtimes easier! Get deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox! Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Coconut cranberry oatmeal cookies
- 100 g margarine or butter (7 tbsp)
- 85 g light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
- 75 g plain flour (scant 2/3 cup)
- 75 g porridge oats (7/8 cup)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g desiccated coconut (1/2 cup)
- 50 g dried cranberries (1/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 185C. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the margarine (or butter) with the sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat well to combine.
- Add the flour, oats, bicarb and coconut and mix well to give a soft dough. Stir in the dried cranberries until evenly distributed.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture, spaced well apart, on the prepared baking sheets. You should get around 20 cookies.
- Bake at 185C for around 5-6 minutes, then squash each cookie gently with a fork to encourage it to spread. Return to the oven and bake for another 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to wire racks to cool.