Juicy oven-baked cod with a tasty topping of sun-dried tomatoes, lemon and herbs. An easy and delicious main dish that’s ready in only 30 minutes!
In recent months, our family diet has definitely tended more towards plant-based meals and away from animal products. We’re eating a lot more vegan and vegetarian dishes. Even things like eggs and cheese are being consumed less frequently.
However, on Shabbat, we usually have at least one fish-based meal. This is typically on Friday night, so any leftovers can be recycled for lunch next day.
Recently we’ve been eating a lot of Friday night salmon, so I decided to change it up by getting cod instead. I like the taste of white fish like cod, but it can have a tendency to dry out in the oven. It needs careful cooking to prevent oven-baked cod from becoming hard, dry and unappetising.
Keep it moist
I’ve found that a great way to prevent oven-baked cod and other white fish from becoming too dry is to cook it under a crust or topping. This helps to seal in the moisture as the fish cooks, especially if the topping contains something a little bit oily.
With this in mind I set about making a topping for my cod. I used sun-dried tomatoes in oil which have an intense and delicious flavour, then added lemon and parsley which are classic accompaniments to fish. I spread the mixture over the fish and dusted it with breadcrumbs for texture.
The resulting oven-baked cod was juicy and delicious. We ate it for our Friday night dinner and DH liked it so much that although I’d made 4 pieces for the 3 of us, there were no leftovers!
I think this will become a regular in our Friday night fish menus!
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Baked cod with sun-dried tomato & herb crust
- olive oil for greasing the tray
- 4 cod fillets (or similar white fish)
- 4-6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- zest of a lemon
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs, divided
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly oil a non-stick baking tray, or one lined with foil.
- Rinse the cod fillets if required and pat dry with kitchen towels. Arrange on the oiled baking tray, leaving space between them.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest, parsley and 2 tbsp of the breadcrumbs into a mini chopper and process to a coarse paste. Spread ¼ of the paste over each cod fillet. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp breadcrumbs over the top and gently press down.
- Bake the cod at 180°C (350°F) for around 20 minutes until the fish is cooked through and flaking. Serve and enjoy!