A handful of ingredients are all you need to make this quick & easy beetroot pasta. Its delicious flavour & vibrant colour make it a family favourite!
We get a weekly organic vegetable box delivered. I never know what will be in it, which is generally a source of surprise and delight but can occasionally be more of a challenge.
A while ago a friend and I were comparing the contents of our veg boxes – check out our rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle!! – and the thrill of working out what to do with that mystery vegetable you’ve never seen before (claytonia, anyone?) or the third cauliflower in as many weeks.
Feel the beet
Our vegetable box has been providing an excess of beetroot recently. It’s a locally grown winter staple veg, so it isn’t too surprising that we’ve been getting a lot of it. That said, we’ve got roasted beets and beetroot risotto coming out of our ears, so it was time to think of something new.
Realising that I hadn’t made this fast, super-tasty beetroot pasta in ages, I put it on the menu. It only takes about 30 minutes – probably less if you don’t also have to deal with an overtired child while you’re making it…
Mood altering substance?
My daughter Kipper is a big fan of this beetroot pasta. In fact, she loves beetroot in almost any form. Possibly because of its vibrant magenta colour, which turns dinner technicolour. And possibly because it’s just very delicious! A few mouthfuls of beetroot pasta and she was transformed from grumpy and hangry to sweetness and light.
I’d been hoping for leftovers but we were all starving and had seconds. Definitely a ringing endorsement for glorious beetroot pasta.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Beetroot pasta - quick & easy
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 medium beetroot (approx. 650g)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ lemon - juice only
- 100 ml natural yogurt - cow's, goat's or plant-based (6-7 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley + extra to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250-300 g spaghetti or other pasta (approx. 9-10½ oz.)
- Peel and finely grate the beetroots - I do this in the food processor for speed but you can also do it by hand using a box grater.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan, over a low-medium flame. Add the grated beetroot and the crushed garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in boiling water, according to the instructions on the packet. Drain thoroughly once cooked.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the beetroot, stir and remove from the heat. Add the yogurt and chopped parsley and mix well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Toss the beetroot mixture with the cooked spaghetti and serve, sprinkled with a little extra parsley.
Other quick pasta recipes you might enjoy include creamy smoked salmon pasta with peas, quick courgette and cherry tomato pasta with feta and gooey wild mushroom and spinach one-pot pasta dinner.