A fast, family-friendly recipe for baked cod, with a tasty cheese and leek topping. A simple midweek supper that everyone will enjoy.
I love getting an organic vegetable box. Because I am never organised enough to specify what goes in it, every evening meal turns into the invention test from Masterchef.
Being forced to create something quick and tasty at short notice was just how this delightful baked cod recipe arose. I had cod. I had a leek from the veg box. And somehow I needed to speedily combine the two into a tasty, family-friendly meal. A few store-cupboard essentials later, and hey presto! Baked cod with cheddar and leek crumb topping. Fast, easy and a hit with everyone present.
My daughter Kipper insisted on deconstructing her baked cod, and eating the fish and the topping separately. I can’t really complain though – she ate a full portion and then had seconds. (As did I, and DH too).
Serves four – or three, if you cut the last piece into three bits so everyone can have seconds.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Cod with cheddar and leek crumb topping
- 4 pieces of cod, around 100-115g each (approx. 4 oz each)
- 1 large leek
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 g dried breadcrumbs (2 tbsp)
- 35 g finely grated cheddar cheese (approx. 4-5 tbsp or ⅓ cup)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼-½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Butter to grease a baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the fish with space between the pieces.
- Trim the leek and remove the outer leaves. Wash thoroughly to remove any dirt or grit. Slice finely into 1-2mm rounds.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the leeks and sauté until soft - about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the grated cheddar with the breadcrumbs, thyme and nutmeg. Add the sautéed leeks and mix thoroughly.
- Place the cod pieces in a buttered baking dish. Divide the leek mixture into four equal portions and press one portion down on top of each piece of fish.
- Bake the cod in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and cheddar and leek crumb topping is beginning to brown. Serve immediately.
If you’d like more delicious recipes using white fish, how about cod and sweetcorn puff pastry pie, baked fish with rainbow peppers and hawaij spices, or grilled sea bass with sauce vierge.