A super-speedy supper! Smoked salmon pasta with peas is a delicious & elegant meal that’s on the table in under 15 minutes.
Usually I have an hour or so to cook dinner, but recently time ran away with me and suddenly it was 20-to-dinnertime and I hadn’t even started. To make matters worse, we were also short of ingredients.
I opened the fridge and took a panicked look at the contents.
Ready Steady Cook!
There was an unopened packet of smoked salmon, and some cream cheese. A good start, but DH doesn’t eat bread and anyway, a bagel didn’t seem like much of a dinner. There was also not much in the way of vegetables.
Fortunately for us, there’s almost always a bag of frozen peas in the freezer for just such an emergency!
I got some pasta on to boil and threw together a sauce from the smoked salmon, cream cheese and peas while it was cooking. By the time my pasta was draining in a colander, the sauce was ready, and DH and Kipper were setting the table. Panic over!
This made enough for me, DH and Kipper. So, serves 2-3.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Simply click here to subscribe. (of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Creamy smoked salmon & pea pasta
- 160 g short pasta e.g. penne
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 g cream cheese
- 120 g smoked salmon
- 130 g frozen peas
- Juice of half a lime (or lemon)
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the onion. Heat the butter in a large heavy skillet over a medium heat and cook the sliced onion, stirring occasionally, for 7-9 minutes until very soft and beginning to brown.
- Stir in the cream cheese and mix well. Lower the heat to just keep warm.
- Add the peas to the boiling pasta for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking. Once cooked, drain everything well.
- Cut the smoked salmon into strips/pieces. Add to the onion & cream cheese mixture with the drained pasta and peas. Squeeze over the lime (or lemon) juice and mix gently to combine.
- Serve with additional lime or lemon wedges if desired.