These are so easy to make I almost feel ashamed at calling this a ‘recipe’. But they are SO delicious! It’s astonishing what you can do with just three simple ingredients. These sweet potatoes are also a perfect, virtually-no-effort Rosh Hashanah (Jewish new year) side dish, which is why I’m telling you about them now, just before the festival.
To be honest, you could even serve them as a light lunch or supper, with nothing more than a lovely green salad. Meltingly soft, sweet, and deliciously tasty. You won’t regret the two and half minutes of input required to make these.
Of course you can tell everyone how much effort you went to, but probably no-one will believe you. Better instead to remind the diners how the simplest things in life are often the best, as demonstrated by these fabulous baked sweet potatoes.
Kipper is a big fan of sweet potato generally and scoffed loads. DH claimed they were, “too buttery.” Can anything really be too buttery? I don’t think so. You can always let people add their own butter if you think they’re likely to be fussy about it.
If you are planning to serve these as part of a Rosh Hashanah menu, you might also like to drizzle a little honey over your buttered baked sweet potato. I was all for this, but DH, who is diabetic and scorns anything with added sugar, was extremely disapproving about the idea. It is gilding the lily a little bit, as the potatoes are pretty sweet to start with. I leave the suggestion with you – do with it what you will.
I beat the butter in my mini-chopper, which meant that even the minimal effort required was taken care of by a gadget. If you do beat the butter by hand, let it come to room temperature first. Much easier to do if your butter is soft to start with.
Take the stress out of meal planning! Get deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox. Click here to sign up. (I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
- 800g sweet potatoes (approx 8 small ones)
- 60g butter
- 0.5-1 tsp mixed spice
- Honey (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and prick each one several times with a fork. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet so they are not touching one another.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until soft and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter and mixed spice together. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, cut a slit in each one and insert a splodge of the spiced butter. Drizzle over some honey if desired, and serve straightaway.