No eggs, sugar, or cream. Just chocolate, whipped into dreamy creamy billowy smooth chocolate mousse. An easy, quick and delicious vegan dessert.
This is an amazing recipe. It has only ONE ingredient. Can you guess what it is? Can you?
CHOCOLATE. That’s it. Chocolate mousse made entirely from chocolate. No eggs. No sugar. No cream. No nonsense. Just chocolate, whipped into creamy smooth and deliciously fluffy mousse.
This sumptuous dessert manages to be both rich and light at the same time. And of course incredibly chocolatey! If you love chocolate, this is a heavenly bowl of chocolate mousse perfection.
Quick and easy
This is my go-to chocolate mousse recipe. Stuck for a dessert? Vegans coming for dinner? There’s always chocolate in the house! Now you can turn it into a sophisticated mousse in a matter of minutes.
Perfect for Pesach
This chocolate mousse is also ideal for Pesach. It is a wonderful thing, a Pesach dessert that doesn’t involve any eggs. I think this chocolate mousse would be lovely with some fruit sticks to dip into it. Pear maybe? Crispy apple? Or perhaps some blueberries or raspberries on a little skewer.
If you’re anything like me, you’ll read this recipe and think, “Well, that’s never going to work.” Even now, having made this numerous times, I’m incredulous when it comes together and turns into thick, fluffy chocolate mousse. You just have to believe!
You can watch this video of (a very young) Heston Blumenthal making it, if you want to see the process in action before you try it out yourself. Honestly, it really does work!
Quality is everything
One important note – because it only has one ingredient, you do need to ensure that your chocolate is really the best quality and tastes absolutely delicious. You can’t get away with using ordinary cooking chocolate, because there’s nothing for it to hide behind. Whatever chocolate you use, that’s what you’ll taste. I pushed the boat out and made this with premium 70% dark chocolate. It was the business!
This amount made 4 espresso cups of chocolate mousse. A small serving really is plenty.
Want deliciously easy, family-friendly recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up. (Of course, I’ll never pass on your email address to anyone.)
Incredible 1-ingredient chocolate mousse
- 2 bowls, one of which will fit inside the other with a gap between
- crushed ice
- an electric whisk, or a balloon whisk and good arm muscles
- 75 g dark chocolate (2.6 oz)
- Break the chocolate into a pan and add 75ml (⅓ cup) water. Heat the mixture until the chocolate has melted and amalgamated with the water into a soupy brown liquid.
- Put a good handful of ice into the larger of the two bowls, and put the smaller bowl on top of the ice. Pour the chocolate-water mixture into the inner bowl.
- Whisk like mad for a few minutes, until the chocolate mixture thickens and becomes mousse-like.
- Spoon into small bowls or espresso cups. Chill for at least an hour, until set. (You can speed up the chilling step by putting the cups of mousse into the freezer, instead of the fridge.)
I’m entering this in the Dead Easy Desserts challenge – it doesn’t get much easier than only one ingredient!